Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

Summer Reading Update

It actually takes me a while to finish a book. My mind tends to wander if I don't read slowly and then I have to go back and read the paragraph again (remind you of any kids that you know! :) So every book that I finish on my summer reading list feels like a big accomplishment.

I just finished:


I really liked it. Something different, definitely not a fast-paced story. A retired man gets a letter from an old friend that she's dying from cancer and gets it in his head that if he walks the hundreds of miles to go see her, it will give her hope to hold on. The real story takes place in his head and with the people he meets-his problems with his marriage, his son. I read the comments on Amazon and saw there were some people who thought it was boring, and I can see that, however I think a story can have a quiet effect as well. The message is more subtle, but definitely there.

Now I'm reading:



Not usually a YA fan, but so far I really like it.


Anyone reading anything for fun that they really like?



8 comments :

  1. That sounds like a very interesting read! I just finished "The Book Thief" and I was mesmerized by it. I think people could say the same thing about it being boring, but I agree that sometimes the quiet effect is just as intriguing. I'll have to check these out! :-)

    Nichole
    Craft of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Book Thief is one of my all-time favorites! They are making it into a movie-I'm going to be mad if they don't do it justice! :)

      Delete
  2. I am on book number 19 of the summer:-) You should look up Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore. It has been my favorite so far! Happy reading!

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely check that one out! It sounds like a good one! Thanks for the suggestion. :)

      Delete
  3. I just finished 'Sisterland" by Curtis Stiffenfeld. The setting is my town! Reading about places which I visit on a regular basis was a wild experience. The story is great, too!

    "The Fault In Our Stars" is on my summer reading list!
    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really cool-even though I live in a pretty big city, I can't remember ever reading a book with the setting here.

      Delete
  4. The Fault in Our Stars was one of my favorites.

    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete