Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

The Book: Wonder

I've mentioned before that I do a book club on my campus for K-2 and one for 3rd-5th Graders. I absolutely love it! Who knew so many kiddos would volunteer to stay after school and discuss books! :)

We get a list of books from the district-most are Bluebonnet Nominees the rest are just what librarians and teachers think are classics in the making. One of the books on our list for the 3rd-5th graders this year is called:


"Mask" is one of my all-time favorite movies (in fact I haven't watched that in a while, I may have to watch that again) and August's character actually reminds me a bit of Rocky. He uses humor to deal with a severe facial deformity. What I like about the book is you get August's perspective for almost the first half of the book and then you get other perspectives-like his sister, a boy who wants to befriend him but is afraid of the fallout from other students.

I think if you teach upper primary kiddos maybe 3rd, 4th and 5th graders, this would be a one that could really spark some good conversations--about ethics as well as multiple perspectives. What would you do in that situation? We'd all like to think we'd react the correct way. Some of the parents in the book made me angry too-I like when a book can make you feel a variety of different things as you read it. You feel sorry for him a bit and then you feel sorry for his sister who has been left without as much attention, etc.

Anyway, a good read--I give it two thumbs up! :)



10 comments :

  1. This is on my suggestion list for my son. Thanks for reminding about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to add this book to my list! How wonderful that you do a book club after school! Thanks for sharing!

    Kelli
    First Grade Bling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot of work, but I love it! I like hearing what the kids think of the stories. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. I love this book. I read it last summer and entered a contest where I won a Wonder t-shirt! Lots of my fifth graders this year read this and talked about it. Very eye opening, plus a great way to teach perspective.

    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A t-shirt...very cool! :) It is great for perspective. Sometimes I'd forget-oh wait, we're back to August's perspective again.

      Delete
  4. I love love love this book!! My 4th grade daughter loves it too. We're now reading The One and Only Ivan - great book so far!
    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's such a good one too! I tried to read it to my kiddos last year but they weren't into it (they generally dissed read-aloud time altogether *boo*. But I had to read to the end to see what happens. :)

      Delete
  5. Such an amazing read! I think this and One and Only Ivan were my favorites from last years reads.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivan's on our book list too. I'm anxious for the kids to read both of them and see what they think! :)

      Delete