Pages

Friday, April 17, 2015

Backward Writing Prompts

We focus a LOT on our writing skills in my class. I try to challenge them and shake things up when I can. This is one of my favorite ways to do that. They are used to me providing the beginning of the story with a prompt...instead, I give them the ending. My favorite ones to do are "and then we had a pet", "and then the cookies were gone" and "then there was a knock at the door". I posted this idea before and Ian Byrd from the Byrdseed site http://www.byrdseed.com/ commented that he liked to give that last prompt idea as dealer's choice-they could use it at the beginning of their story or at the end.

So these are their stories about disappearing cookies:






















4 comments :

  1. What a fun idea! I'm going to try this to get us out of the end of the year writing slump! Thanks for sharing!! Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it was helpful! Yes, I need to spice up my writing instruction too-they are really bored with it right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! I've actually never heard of backward writing prompts. I think I'll try that with our fairytale unit cause the kids are loving the ending "and that was the end of him!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Barb! Have to say that is a great ending! :)

    ReplyDelete