Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Digital Stories for Mother's Day

I love having the kiddos do digital stories. I like that it's a different way to incorporate technology and I like that the kids learn there is more than one way to publish a story. I use a program called Pixie which is probably outdated-I'm sure there are some more newfangled choices out there, however I really like this program and feel like it's fairly easy for the kids to navigate.

They type the text on their page, draw an illustration or use the stickers. They can change colors, add a background-many of them really play with it before they decide what they want. I asked them to write about their moms. Then we record their voices reading what they wrote and they choose a background music. Pixie puts it all together in a Quicktime movie. And voila! :)

I wanted them to go beyond just "I love my mom" and "my mom loves me" but tell me something that I didn't know about them before. We are going to unveil them at our Mother's Day Tea on Friday and I hope the moms like them. It definitely took a lot of effort to get 26 of them done!

Here are a few examples:














2 comments :

  1. I haven't ever tried anything like this with my writers. I know it's something I want and need to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the Pixie program. I just show them what to do and they can do it pretty independently. Of course, we have to have a little tutorial on how the spacebar works and how to save each page-but I think that's good experience for them.

    ReplyDelete