Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Books That Celebrate Differences

Personally, I don't think there are enough of these out there! Since kids all have different quirks and attributes; I think they can learn a lot from characters being accepted for who they are. Here are a few of my favorites:


A character who is a little OCD-he learns he doesn't need a list for everything. 



Love this spin on the Ugly Duckling. The moose can't quite figure out how to quack and waddle.

A collection of poems from a very diverse group of writers.


A portrait of Dr. Suess when he was younger. Believe it or not it seems like his cartoonish drawings were once thought of as a waste of time!


I love to share this with my class because I think it's a great inspiration for my struggling readers.


A classic about being one-of-a-kind. I was reminded of this one recently, hadn't read it in a while.



You don't usually find youngsters as excited about history as Imogene is, but the history buff saves the day (or at least a city landmark).

A great reminder for perfectionists-it doesn't have to be perfect, just perfect-ish! :)


And for your older readers, or if you do share chapter books with your kiddos:


A family who wake up with some sort of power on their 15th birthday. It's not always as fun as it sounds.



You may have to edit this a little if you are reading it aloud for younger readers because there are some things mentioned connected to the war. However, what I love about this story is the refugee from Africa goes to school for the first time and is stunned by simple things like a desk. It's a great example of an ESL student overcoming the odds.


On my top 10 all-time favorite books to share with kids. Told from the perspective of a little girl with cerebral palsy. It doesn't exactly have a happily ever after ending either-it actually made me mad for Melody!





5 comments :

  1. Thanks for the book suggestions. I love these kinds of books too. (Hooway for Wodney Wat and Molly Lou Melon are a few of my favorites.)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great suggestions. Most of these are new for me. Thanks.
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for suggesting one chapter book new to me! My son has enjoyed every suggestion I have gleamed from your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! You'll have to let me know if he likes it! :)

      Delete
  4. Out Of My Mind was phenomenal read!! Have you ever read Petey ?

    ReplyDelete