Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Snowman Civil Rights

I do this activity every year, some years the kids understand it better than others. When we talk about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the advancement of civil rights my kids are just amazed at far we've come. They can't even imagine a world where there were not equal opportunities for everyone. Perfect timing as well for the news story this morning about the little girl who is apparently a football phenom and now kicked off the team because she is, well, a girl. People are protesting that today so I was able to give them a real-world example that maybe my little ones can relate to.

So in order to apply what they learned about civil rights and give it a little twist, I have them make protest posters that snowmen (and women) would use to fight for their rights. What could they be asking for?

Here's what they came up with:


















1 comment :