Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Polar Bear Facebook Updates

So this activity was not on my lesson plans. :) I was struck by inspiration. I knew we were going to do a polar bear craft because we have been talking about arctic animals and Friday afternoons we usually do some sort of project. Well, the kiddos started talking about Facebook. I had videotaped them singing a song earlier and they asked me if I was going to post it on there (of course, I won't). But I was surprised they knew what Facebook was, they are 5 after all, it seemed most of them did.

Here's what I asked them to do. They made a polar bear with paper plates-as you can see I leave it very open-ended. Then I asked them to write what the polar bear Facebook updates would look like. I told them many people write about their day-what they are eating for dinner or something their kids did. I was really hoping to see the vocabulary we have been learning about arctic animals.  I liked the idea because technically, they are using their multiple perspective icon, however, not writing "if I was a polar bear".

This is what they came up with:





















It's getting hot now ice is melting (we talked about global warming).









4 comments :

  1. They know a lot about Polar bears and Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! We pretended we were our favorite author and made a whole facebook page for them. They were very creative. Nice work!

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea too Laurie! I can see that as something that really showed what they learned about an author. :)

      Delete