Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Spin on Starry Starry Night

One of my favorite paintings is 'Starry Starry Night' by Van Gogh-a cliched choice, I know, but I've always been a fan of his work. I showed the kids some of his paintings and discussed some of his techniques. Then I asked them to paint their version of 'Starry Starry Night' on one side of the paper and to imagine what 'Snowy, Snowy Day' would look like on the other side. I've done this activity with classes in previous years, and I love to see how different students perform on the same kind of activity.

 Now, in hindsight, I really should have shown them some pics of what houses/trees look like in a blanket of snow. We are in Texas and these kids haven't seen any more than a few flurries. So their interpretation was to paint things like snowmen and Christmas trees. But here's what they came up with:


















1 comment :

  1. But, there IMAGINATION really comes through on the "Snowy Night" if they have not really had much real-life experience with snow:)

    ReplyDelete