Pages

Friday, March 13, 2015

Creative Writing

I went to high school about 100 years ago but I still remember one of my favorite classes was called "Themes" and it was all about creative writing. I think sometimes we rely too much on prompts for our writing in our classrooms. Something I've really been working on with my kiddos these last few months we have left in our school year, is writing a story-beginning, middle, end with a problem and solution. We have gone over ways to brainstorm ideas of what to write about. It's still hard for them. Quite often I'll get a great opening line and have to send them back and say "and then what happens"!

Here are some examples of their free writing from this week:


A doctor who delivers a baby and won't tell the mom if it's a boy or girl because he was mad at her. Is that creative or what?!?!?









1 comment :

  1. I agree about too often relying on prompts. I've seen rumors of TPT writing prompts for every day of the year deals. Um, no thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete