Pages

Friday, May 10, 2013

Mom Metaphors

We do introduce literary devices in Kinder and have already done things like similes and alliteration. Yesterday was the first experience they had with metaphors! I think it's a tough concept, but one I very much appreciate in literature myself. I can very specifically remember learning this concept through the Robert Frost poem "Out, Out" when I was in high school. The line was: "as he swung toward them holding up the hand--half in appeal, but half as if to keep the life from spilling".

Anyway, our metaphors weren't quite as deep. I asked the kids to write a metaphor for their moms--Mom, you're a _________. And then to write why they made that connection. Here's what they came up with:

















3 comments :

  1. How cute! I love the one about the heart and the sun!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are very sweet. I like how you challenge your kids!
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Pretty good, the one where the mom is a rabbit mad me lol.

    ReplyDelete