Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Painting Still Life

Is more than one still life going to be "still lives" or "still lifes"--hmm.

Anyway, we are reading the chapter book The One and Only Ivan (yes, Laurie at chickadeejubilee -still reading it! :) I've posted before about how my kids this year just aren't really into read-alouds-they would much rather watch it a story being read to them on the screen-but I am not giving up on that!

In the story, the gorilla is very interested in art and is a bit of an artist himself. At one point they bring in a still life and he is mesmerized by it. Now my school is in an area of low economic development, we have many LEP students-so I take any opportunity I can to show them what vocabulary means. We painted still lifes (lives?). I brought in a bowl of fruit and they painted it with watercolors. We also wrote about it (you know, so I can justify the activity with an objective and all).

I love that some of them came out very abstract!



















6 comments :

  1. Gorgeous!

    I do a still life project in my K/1 art curriculum. I'm always fascinated by the insight this gives as to how a child sees the world. The result isn't necessarily about skill, it's about perspective. Love!
    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true-I can definitely see their personalities come through with their art.

      Delete
  2. Love that you are still reading it:-)

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, not giving up! They do like the story it's the sitting down and listening to it part that they fight me on. Grrrr. :)

      Delete
  3. Inspiring pics, what a great way to bring a book's voc. into the classroom!

    ReplyDelete